Winter Safety Tips for Your Home

Home School Care & Maintenance

We’ve already seen the temperature drop outside this year and maybe you’ve noticed an extra chill to the air inside your home. To warm up, you’ve probably turn up the heat and kept your fireplace going. Along with making sure you keep warm at home this winter, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind.

Heating Your Home

Homeowners usually turn to heat sources when the temperature drops, which in many cases are powered by natural gas. These heat sources are what make the winter months a time when risks around carbon monoxide poisoning rise.

One way to prevent carbon monoxide issues is to change your furnace filters monthly. You should also never use a stove or oven to heat your home and always ensure the vents on your dryer and furnace are clear of debris.

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide has no colour, taste or smell and we recommend purchasing a detector if your home isn’t already equipped with one. Make sure to test it regularly and change the batteries.

If you think your home has a carbon monoxide leak, leave the house immediately and call the fire department’s non-emergency line. They have the equipment needed to find traces of the gas.

Furnace Issues

If your furnace goes out or you ever have issues getting it started, an affordable option is to call your local gas provider. In cases where a replacement part is needed, they’ll charge you the cost of the item plus tax but there isn’t a fee for the service call.


It’s quite common to gather around the gas fireplace and get cozy when it’s cold. While the glass front on the fireplace is there for protection, it can get quite hot. For this reason, it’s best to keep pets and small children away from the glass.


In low temperatures, it’s also a good idea to regularly check your windows, especially in the basement, to make sure they aren’t frozen shut. In the case of an emergency, such as a fire, it’s important to know you’ll be able to open them.